Lodge No. 587

History of  Manheim Lodge No. 587

Freemasonry is one of the world’s oldest organizations. Written recorded history runs back from present day approximately eight hundred years. Beginning some eight hundred years ago and continuing for four hundred years, hundreds of great cathedrals were built by Masons in Western Europe. In that ers, as of today, Masons banded together and formed Lodges. There probably were Freemasons among the earliest settlers of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania – especially the English, and Scots-Irish.

An entry dated August 31, 1734, in a ledger kept by Benjamin Franklin, shows that three reprinted copies of the Masonic Book of Constitutions, published by the Grand Lodge of England in 1723, were sent to Donegal Township on August 31, 1734. The first known Lodge in Lancaster, Lodge No. 9, was instituted in 1766.

On June 24, 1891, the Warrant of Constitution of Manheim Lodge No.587 was granted and the first stated meeting was held on July 20, 1891. There were two members present and three visitors. These early meetings of the Lodge took place in a rented room on the third floor of the then New Town Hall in Manheim at $75 per year for a 5 year period.

During its 122 year existence, the Lodge has had a number of meeting locations. The first official stated meeting of the Lodge in its present facility at 30 S. Linden Street in Manheim PA took place on Monday, November 12, 1990 at 7:30 PM. There were 83 members and 14 visitors present.

As to be expected, membership and programs have fluctuated. Presently the Lodge has over 250 members and is very involved in local, county and state wide programs and activities.

Manheim Lodge No. 587 Information

Manheim Lodge No.587 Meets at Lodge Hall, 30 South Linden Street, Manheim, PA 17545

Phone 717-664-2208

Web Address: http://manheimlodge587.org/

Google Map to Manheim  Lodge No.551